Topic: latest news for legal battle between Pandora and ASCAP

I have pasted below a link to a news story from the Wall Street Journal as an FYI regarding the latest legal battle between Pandora and ASCAP for those who are interested in the revenue that Pandora pays other organizations (record labels/performers) vs ASCAP. There is also a very interesting graph for the total amount of revenue generated by Pandora vs content acquisition costs. 

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 … 75882.html

Re: latest news for legal battle between Pandora and ASCAP

I really resent the FCC trying to get its grubby little filthy paws into something that they had nothing to do with , or have no control over ! However they are I am sure going to find some way to take it over  , like Nazi's !

Very sad & offensive in the highest form for us independent broadcasters who struggle along everyday doing what we love to do, and trying to do it legally without the corporate abuse dished out on a daily basis by greedy uncaring money mongers like the FCC. Lets face it , thats all they are interested in internet radio for , because they know it is the future ! Its a money maker ! So why let a little guy like me finally make a few bucks , right ? No way ! Take it from them ! Corporate Pigs !

We recently lost LoudCity.com a big licensing company for independent broadcasters which now leaves the only blanket licensing company left in the USA as streamlicensing.com. If they go , what will be the future for independent broadcasters ?

I feel this is such a tragic destruction of our constitutional rights and all that these wall street pigs care about is the money !

90% of small independent broadcasters could care less about the money or making it !  They broadcast because it is what they love to do ! And stations like mine , try to offer people a safe haven to go , away from all the typical chatroom , facebook crap , a place where people 40 and above can go and experience an enjoying place on the web where drama , bullying , harassment , obnoxious behavior isnt tolerated. Just good music , a good environment , and good people. And we are doing it right , paying our legal fees to Streamlicensing.com so the artist's get their royalties. What will happen to us ? We'll be pushed aside ? Told you cant do that anymore by corporate thugs ??? You call this fair ?

Here is gonna come the FCC and take that away from us ??? Thousands of independent broadcasters. Try to move in on us little guys ??? Take all that away so that they can take all the money and profits for themselves just like any other Mafia thug ! You think independent broadcasters are gonna just lie down and say " ohhhhh okay  , I'll stop , you go ahead and take away all I have built for the last 7 years" !!!!!!

Well if they start to pull this crap , you can be sure your going to see a rejuvenation of Pirate Radio's all over the USA ! From every corner of every state ! Then how does that help the artist ???

I'm not saying I would do that , what Im saying is that there are many that will !! I personally know independent broadcasters that are getting pretty pissed off about the corporate Thug movements going on in internet radio.

It is just wrong for FCC to try to move in on an area where they were not invited , they have no rights , they didnt create it , and frankly , lets call a spade a spade , they are not just not WANTED !

Just thought I would express my opinion as a independent broadcaster knee deep in the middle of this area that government is trying to take as their own but have no rights to , as usual ! This is the kind of crap that happens in North Korea !

It isnt supposed to happen to Americans trying to get a little area of enjoyment from something they love to do and are gladly paying royalty licensing fee's to do it !

When you want the best . . .Aim for the BullsEye !!
http://www.bullseyeradio.com

Sorry, I can't read it. It tells me I have to subscribe or login.
But screw the FCC from what I can see about it that Bulleye says.

Trip

oldhippie wrote:

Sorry, I can't read it. It tells me I have to subscribe or login.
But screw the FCC from what I can see about it that Bulleye says.

Ditto
and
Ditto

SH

*** no mention of the FCC in this article ***
By Hannah Karp
Jan. 20, 2014 5:05 p.m. ET

Pandora Media Inc. P -0.13% and the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers are expected to square off Tuesday in a long-awaited federal-court trial to determine how much the Internet-radio giant should pay for the use of their compositions for the next two years.

The outcome could have a broad effect on the growing digital-music business, which now pays more to record labels and performers than to those who write and publish songs.

Pandora pays a total of 4.3% of its revenue to publishers and songwriters represented by Ascap and other organizations that collect royalties on their behalf. By contrast, the Oakland, Calif., company pays record labels and performers roughly half of its revenue.

LoneStar101.com(sm) & LoneStar101radio.com - real Texas country
GeuineTexasCountry.com | TexasCountryMusicRadio.com | RealTexasCountry.com | KTXC.com
(c)2004-2013 TexasRadioWorks.

6 (edited by BullsEyeRadio 2014-02-08 14:25:27)

It appears Pandora is trying to acquire Terrestrial radio to lower it's ascap rates :

the FCC has sent Pandora letter, according to an ASCAP filing with the rate court, that says that Pandora hasn't adequately complied with supplying the agency with ownership information so it can determine if Pandora is at least 75% owned by U.S. citizens,  which means foreign ownership must be capped at 25%

(Full story here  - http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/n … kota-radio )

When you want the best . . .Aim for the BullsEye !!
http://www.bullseyeradio.com

Sorry folks, the original link that I posted from the Wall Street Journal was not locked when I first posted it and could be viewed by non-subscribers to the WSJ. I think the WSJ Sys Admin decided to keep non-subscribers from accessing the article due to the large traffic they were getting from non-subscribers.

@BullsEyeRadio, I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly. The sad thing is that the primary way the greedy corporate pigs can generate revenue is by making users/clients view or hear ads/commercials before, during and after a listener can tune into the music. This is the primary reason I do not subscribe to siriusXM or TWC. I do not want to pay these organizations money for the trashy ads(infomercials) and channels that I am not interested in.

@oldhippie and SnowHow, I have pasted another link below from a non-profit organization that discusses the news found in the WSJ link with a different perspective. As of this posting the link below is working without having to subscribe to SFCV.ORG.

https://www.sfcv.org/article/the-pandor … rt-changed